Order of Protection

Instructions on how to fill out the forms for an order of protection (Domestic Violence Petition or DVP)

Please print all information as provided in the instructions associated with each form. Please type or complete in black ink, do not write on the back of any form. If needed, use extra 8.5" x 11" straight edge sheets of white paper. Links are provided to the applicable forms and their instructions.

Before you begin working on these forms read the following paragraph.

The unlawful harassment statute does not allow an order for protection from civil harassment to be issued in any action covered by the domestic violence laws (chapters 10.99 and 26.50 rcw). Domestic violence is defined as physical harm, bodily injury, assault, or the infliction of fear of imminent physical harm, bodily injury or assault between family or household members; or sexual assault of one family or household member by another. "family or household members" include adults or juveniles who are spouses, former spouses, person related by blood or marriage, person who are presently residing together, or who have resided together in the past, and persons who have a child in common regardless of whether they have been married or have lived together at any time.

If you are a victim of domestic violence, fill out these forms.

Forms are available online.

Step 1 - Petition for order for protection (all cases)

Step 2 - Child custody information sheet

Step 3 - Law enforcement information sheet

Step 4 - Confidential information form (info) and confidential form addendum (ad)

Step 5 - Temporary order for protection and notice of hearing (all cases)

Step 6 - Order for protection (all cases)

Step 7 - Go to your hearing

You must appear in court on your scheduled hearing date. If you do not appear your temporary order of protection is no longer valid and no other order for protection can be issued.

General information
If you decide that your order for protection is no longer necessary or that its conditions should be modified, you may request a hearing to change your order. Should you wish to modify and it is close to your present order expiring, please begin your request to extend your order no later that one month before the expiration date. Should you wish to terminate your order, please come into the clerk's office and file the appropriate forms. You will need to come to court to terminate your order or the order will stay in effect until the expiration date on the original order for protection.


Benton County now has an Ex Parte Docket Daily 1:30-3:30
Protection Orders will be reviewed at this time by the Court
Please review the Daily Schedule for the assigned courtroom


    Benton County    620 Market Street    Prosser, Washington 99350
    Phone: (509) 786-5710 or (509) 783-1310
    Site Map   |   Employment   |   Powered by MunicipalCMS
    E-notify RSS Feeds Twitter Facebook